Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

From the Precipice Cliff of Mt. Yagigahana

The first picture at the top of my blog shows Mt. Yagihana, or Yagigahana, my favorite mountain. However, I would rather call it Yagiyama as did my parents and neighbors. I grew up looking at it every day until the age of 18 when I left for Tokyo to go to college.
Yagi literally means “eight trees,” which may be symbolic of the trees on its top. Hana means “nose,” which I have heard local people say refers to the nose of a serow, or a Japanese antelope.
The second photo shows the front face of a rock. Does it remind you of a nose? There is also a river, the Ikarashi River that runs by it. Upstream is the Kasabori Dam which is a sanctuary for the serows. Both the animals and their habitat are considered national treasures.
The rock’s face looms over the Ikarashi River. It is 200 meters high and is said to be the habitat for peregrine falcons. But I have seen one flying only once or twice in my childhood.
I like the mountain very much regardless of the season or the time. To see the sunrise over the mountain top in the early morning is a holy experience. The colors of its autumnal leaves are amazing to behold. I am currently enjoying the fresh greenery of May.
I must have climbed Mt. Yagihana over one hundred times. I also enjoy the view of the town from the precipice.
In my following posts, I will write about its historical stories, including the fact that it was under the sea in the Jurassic period, myths, and ancient religions, and much more.